Art Criticism Process
The art criticism process is a relatively simple 4 step process. This process is describe, analyze, interpret and judge. The first step, describe, is just looking at and noting the physical features of the piece. The next step is analyzing which is where you look at the elements of design and the technical aspects o a piece. After that step is to interpret what is seen. This is more personal as different people can interpret the same piece the same way. It has more to do with the feelings associated with a the artwork and what message is being sent.
I feel the piece does a good job of representing Wonderland with the tea party kid and the roses for the Queen of Hearts. I also like how the design is playful but a bit elegant with the gold trim. I added the trim as I though the table cloth looked too clunky and it was out of place. The major problem in the piece was time so some things had to be cut out like the roses at the bottom, however the aesthetic and feeling of the piece was still conveyed without those elements. I chose not to use glaze as it is harder to get a clean even color and it wouldn’t look like a storybook illustration interrupting the mood of the piece. I also had more specific color choices when I worked with lyrics as I could freely mix them.
Overall I think this piece was successful, however it could be improved with some more details. The design was effective from the surface but it felt like something was missing from it when looking at it more in dept.
The first thing I did was developed script for a voice over. My plan for this animation was to be a intro for an animated mini series about Billy doing stupid things. From the script I planned my key frames as those would be the most important frames and I needed to prioritize the ones that needed the most attention to detail. The way I planned my animation allowed me to use a lot of copying and pasting of frames so I could save time. After all the planning I sketched drew out my key frames. From then I just positioned and copied frames to make my animation like and intro. From there I added a voice over in a video editor and that's basically it. That was my basic plan but I didn’t get to the part with the video editor as I kept losing frames.
I thought the individual frames looked good and I made a good decision in making the penguins simple. I also just thought they were cute.
The animation was taking a long time. The software I was using was also very buggy so it was a slow process. The program I was using to draw the frames crashed more than a couple of times so I had to restart multiple times. This was also the reason I wasn’t able to finish.
I designed and made a flower themed dress for this project
I was running out of time and I discovered that I did not make enough flowers to put on the bottom of the dress. I had painted about 50 of them with acrylic paint as the spray paint didn't work too well, I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to use them. So after many trials of spacing them out I just left it without them. So currently I have a lot of extra painted flowers.
The end result was much better than I expected and I liked the touch of the mesh. I got lots of comments on how it looked fairy-like, which was nice. Overall I'm surprised that I managed to put a decent version of my idea in the time frame
The stitching is rushed and messy. I also really wanted to have all the flowers white with pink centers. The snap in the back kept coming off so there was a worry that the dress would fall. It was mostly a timing issue.
The most helpful warm up so far was the face proportions. The way it was mapped out was easy to remember and it made the whole process much more organized instead of constantly guessing and erasing.
For the facial proportions I was surprised the most by the size of the of the ears I thought they were a lot smaller which makes sense as most of the time ears are hidden by certain angles and hair.
I started with a slab that I wrapped around a cylindrical mold and I used 2 more slabs to cut out the bottom and the lid. To attach the bottom I used scratches and slip to make sure it was firmly attached. For the lid I rolled a coil and attached onto the inside of the slab so it wouldn’t fall off easily and that was my base complete. Then I added details such as carvings and small teacups. I just need a few more things then it is ready for firing.